Debian Linux 2: shutdown unmounts unclean!

Hi:

 I recently upgraded to Debian Linux 2: the upgrade at home
 went smoothly, but I had a problem at office. I seem to be
 solving most problems, but this one I do not understand:

   When I shutdown with shutdown -h now, there seems to be no complaint
   but when I boot next time it seems to think the hard disks, two
   of them, were not mounted cleanly and does an e2fsck every time.
   ( The version of e2fsck is 1.10 ). How do I go about trying
   to sort this out? Are there any log files which might
   give me a clue.

 Installation of some of the files did not go right: it complained
 about nonxistent libtiff.so and libslang.so.0. Both of these
 are linked to other files, one of which I can find, the other
 is non-existent and I cannot find it from the Packages.gz in
 the main distribution.

 I would appreciate any help. Thanks

 Sebastian Canagaratna
 Department of Chemistry