Re: What I really like is the way FreeBSD has laid out there port making system.

*- Gossamer wrote about "Re: What I really like is the way FreeBSD has laid out there port making system."
> Hamish Moffatt (hamish@debian.org) wrote...
>
> (Hey, I know you :))
>
>> On Tue, Nov 24, 1998 at 11:55:24PM -0500, Edward Ing wrote:
>>> It didn't work of course.  But anybody got and idea about how much
>>> work it would take to get whole ports structure paralleled for
>>> Debian or Redhat?  All the code is open, I believe.
>> There's not really much need, as I see it. A FreeBSD port consists
>> off some control info and a patch; the makefile grabs the source
>> off the net, applies the patch, and compiles and installs the software.
>> Debian source packages also consist of the upstream source and a patch.
>> However, we provide precompiled binaries for all the packages where
>> FreeBSD do not.
>
> It would be -very- nice if you provided sorta "patch"es though - since
> we have binaries I guess a "patch" would consist of all the files
> in a particular .deb that have changed since the last release.  I
> suspect this would be a fair bit less that all the files in a lot of
> casess.
>
> You could get apt/dselect to do this automatically if it found both a
> "patch" and the previous installed ver.
>

> bekj

There was a discussion of this just this month on debian-devel.  Look
at the archives,
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9811/threads.html,
for the subject 'debian binary diff system ?!'.  Someone has worked on
a script but I think it is not going to happen overnight.

--
Brian
							   - unknown