Re: What I really like is the way FreeBSD has laid out there port making system.

Hamish Moffatt (hamish@debian.org) wrote...

(Hey, I know you :))

> On Tue, Nov 24, 1998 at 11:55:24PM -0500, Edward Ing wrote:
>> It didn't work of course.  But anybody got and idea about how much
>> work it would take to get whole ports structure paralleled for
>> Debian or Redhat?  All the code is open, I believe.
> There's not really much need, as I see it. A FreeBSD port consists
> off some control info and a patch; the makefile grabs the source
> off the net, applies the patch, and compiles and installs the software.
> Debian source packages also consist of the upstream source and a patch.
> However, we provide precompiled binaries for all the packages where
> FreeBSD do not.

It would be -very- nice if you provided sorta "patch"es though - since
we have binaries I guess a "patch" would consist of all the files
in a particular .deb that have changed since the last release.  I
suspect this would be a fair bit less that all the files in a lot of
casess.

You could get apt/dselect to do this automatically if it found both a
"patch" and the previous installed ver.

bekj

--
: --Hacker-Neophile-Eclectic-Geek-Grrl-Gay-Disabled-Boychick--
: gossamer@tertius.net.au  http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/