Re: All my computer will say is 1FA: :-(

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	I was in the middle of a 1.2 to 2.0 upfrade this weekend when my CDROM
> 	decided to go toes up. dselect bailed on me and left things in an
> 	unstable stsate. I amaged to get it booted into single user and was
> 	well on my way to getting things straightend out, but somehow I wne
> 	awry.
>
> 	I had LILO on the hard disk, and now all the machine will do is come up
> 	with 1FA: as a prompt. I wnat to boot the machien from the rescue disk,
> 	but I can;t seem to get it to look at tha floppy, withou first
> 	disconecting the heard drive.

No problem, 1FA: is the "mbr" boot loader. pressing F will boot your
floppy drive.. (1, F and A are options, the : denotes a prompt)

1 boots from your first partition,

A shows the rest of the partitions, i.e. "1234F:"

and F boots from your Floppy drive.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

    Jump through hoops? I don't think so. Crawl through Windows? *HELL NO*!!