Re: Laptop woes - Network Cfg.

> Regardless: I'm having trouble figuring out how my system should be set up
> to connect a network:  I have an IBM Thinkpad 755C, and a USRobotics
> XJEM3336 w/10Mbs LAN Adpt, and am trying to hook up to a LAN. (If this card
> won't work, I could try couple different ones... there are several laying
> around here)
>
> How can I get my Boxlet to recognize the interface?  Once I've got it
> going, how will I be able to test it?
>
> When I installed Debian on my desktop, it was a breeze and a half, all I
> had to do was tell it to use the driver that was listed, and from then on I
> was pinging all kinds of hosts.  Matter of fact, I don't think I had a
> single net-related problem with that PC.
>
> Now then, all this PCMCIA stuff has thrown me for a bit of a loop.

First thing, don't get thrown just because it's PCMCIA.

The Ethernet-HOWTO and friends still apply.  For compatibility, I would check
the Ethernet-HOWTO and pcmcia-* docs to see if your adaptor is mentioned.
It may also give hints as far as drivers, too.

Presumably you have the pcmcia-cs package for the card services.  If you don't,
you'll need that.

You'll also need either pcmcia-modules (precompiled) or pcmcia-source (compile
yourself and generate pcmcia-modules).  The driver modules should be available
here if your card is supported.

Once your card is plugged in, you should be able to set up the interface
by loading the modules (or use kerneld) using ifconfig just like any other
desktop.  To automate the setup, check out the docs in /usr/doc/pcmcia-cs.
You'll have to remove any routing commands from /etc/init.d/network and edit
/etc/pcmcia/network.opt to match your config.  This should start up the
network connection whenever the card is inserted.  I think there's also a
note about running something to bring down the connection before you eject
the card.  That's in the docs somewhere.  If you connect to more than one
LAN, there is also some info on setting up different "environments"

I pretty much had everything in place already because of my modem, so
installing my PCMCIA ethernet was easier than on my desktop.

Happy connecting.

Chris