Re: Getting Linux to recognize Windows files.

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Bret Craw wrote:

> How do I get Linux to recognize the Windows files, so that I can use them.
> I have free internet access in Win98, that I can't configure for Linux.  I
> pull down my files to the Windows partition.  I have set up Linux to
> recognize the MSDOS partition, so that I can see what is on the hard drive.
> How do I get the files over into Linux and is there a way to get it to
> recognize the long filenames, without concatinating them?

Mount your windows partition of type vfat, something like:
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /windows
Where /dev/hda1 is where your Windows directory is, and /windows is the
mount point.
vfat supports long filenames.

What are you using for internet access in Win98? If it's DialUp, then ppp
in Linux will do the same thing nicely. And configuration is easy, just
run
pppconfig and fill out parts that are needed.
HTH,
  Andrew
Never include a comment that will help | Andrew Ivanov
someone else understand your code.     | c680789@showme.missouri.edu
If they understand it, they don't      | ICQ: 12402354
need you.                              |