Getting Linux to recognize Windows files.

How do I get Linux to recognize the Windows files, so that I can use them.
I have free internet access in Win98, that I can't configure for Linux.  I
pull down my files to the Windows partition.  I have set up Linux to
recognize the MSDOS partition, so that I can see what is on the hard drive.
How do I get the files over into Linux and is there a way to get it to
recognize the long filenames, without concatinating them?  I have tried to
do it with TKdesk, but it keeps telling me that the directory is not
correct, even though I am looking at the file in the window.  I have tried
to copy the file, extracting the file to Linux, but nothing seems to work.
Is there a program that may make it easier?  Also, I am extremely new to
Linux, and am more comfortable in XWindows.

Bret Craw
Maintenance Renewal