Re: System wide data type system?

Hello,

> Is there any kind of system wide data type system in the works for linux
> (like the ones found in AmigaOS and BeOS).

You mean like file(1) and magic(5) ?

> Such a mechanism would essentially eliminate the need for programs like c2p

Well, no, you'd just be calling them automagically rather than manually. Quite
a few programs already do that anyway. You tell the fax program "I want to fax
this" and it figures out the proper translation. (Or at least that's what the
docs say, I'm still in the process of installing it...)

> I always wonder why so few OS'es implement such wonders.

Probably because they're non-trivial :-)

If you've ever been on a Win95 machine, you'll know at least one of the
problems [*].

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>
[*] For those who haven't, it is quite common in W95 for a program to install
itself as the default program for a particular file type, overriding any
previous settings. This may or may not make sense, and often enough doesn't.