my modem keeps 'hanging itself up'!?

Hi,

My modem is behaving oddly suddenly - it keeps getting reset or
something after about 10mins or so, making big-ish downloads a pain.

It's happened under NT as well as Linux, especially in the evenings
(UK).

Under Linux I get (in ppp.log and in the console) (something like...)
'Echo requests failed 4 times'
'serial connection appears to have been terminated'
'NO LINE'

Also, last night, it seemed to happen after ~6 mins, then ~3 mins, then
1min until whenever I dialled up I got 'NO LINE', as if the errors came
faster and faster.

It seems to happen when ftp-ing (but that could be a coincidence) and
before the modem get's reset, the tone on the phone is just a long
continuos montonous beep (like you get when you're cut off...).

So, whats the prob.? Hardware? (it's worked fine for years  - a standard
14.4 internal) Software? (happens more under Linux it seems, esp. after
upgrading from bo to hamm [but could be coincidence?]), ISP provider?
Telephone line?

How can I find out what's causing the problem?

Please help,

Martin

There was a dialling tone tho'...

But when it hangs