Re: UDMA disks

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998 16:35:52 -0800 (PST), George Bonser wrote:

[...]
>My particular system here is an MTech mobo with Award BIOS. Just for
>grins, I set the BIOS setup for each drive from "Normal" to "LBA". All of
>my errors seem, so far (knock on head), to have gone away! I know that

This can only be by chance, since it doesn't make any sense at all.

The LBA setting is just a "software setting." It changes the way the BIOS
interprets the drive geometry ans is only used at the beginning of the boot
process. The LBA seeting does NOT initialize the IDE controller. As soon as the
Linux kernel gains control the LBA setting becomes meaningless.

--
Ralf G. R. Bergs * Welkenrather Str. 100/102 * 52074 Aachen * Germany
+49-241-876892, +49-241-877776 (fax) * rabe@rwth-aachen.de  * PGP ok!