set/export TERM=vt100

  hi!
  i once had an ISP where in order to be able to run elm (when telnet`ing to
it) you have to invoke _$ set TERM=v100_ , they were running RedHat.
  on another ISP, in order for you to run pine, you have to invoke _$ export
TERM=vt100_ , they ran BSDI.

  now, on my debian system, (when i telnet to it), I have observed that in order
for me to properly run joe (vi works fine), i have to give an _$ export TERM=vt100_
command.

  the thing here is, can someone please tell me how these two commands differ
?

thanks,
sib

A world of Information. The journey begins here. At Home.
Internet Cebu's web based mail. http://www.i-mailbox.net