problem with gnome debs

Hi,

The gnome 0.30 debs installed flawlessy, but when i try to run execute gnome-session I get:

> SESSION_MANAGER=local/homer:/tmp/.ICE-unix/18492,tcp/homer:23907
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_type_create(): type `GtkCalendarDisplayOptions' already exists.
i>
> ** ERROR **: file gnometypes.c: line 30 (gnome_type_init): assertion failed: (type_id != GTK_TYPE_INVALID)
> aborting...
> Abort

I had installed 0.20 as rpm, and removed it with rpm...it left some config files around that caused more (similar) errors...I removed the ones that I could find and removed .gn* from my homedir.  strace output didn't show it opening any conf files, just libs.

Before I give up, compile, and install, I thought I'd see if anyone might have seen and solved this problem.

TIA

--Fred