fstab values (was Re: Permissions for vfat mounted drive)

Hello....

On a related matter, can anyone tell me what the numbers actually mean at the
end of each line in the fstab descritpions

I know that they are labelled <dump> and <pass> but what does that actually
mean?

What values should I be using ??  I have just coppied off others examples
previously.

Thanks.

--
John Stevenson, Objective Alliance: www.oa.nl

"Objects are not a technology, they are a state of mind"