Permissions for vfat mounted drive

Hello Debian Land,

I have a question about access permissions.  I can
access my vfat mounted windows98 partition as any user,
however I can only get write access when I am root.
My linux and win98 partitions are on the same
harddrive.

I used to be able to get the desired access by adding
users to the dos group when I was using debian 1.3.1,
but this dos group was not a default creation when I
installed debian 2.0.

I created a dos group and tried to assign the win98
partition as belonging to the dos group, but this did
not work, only assigning the mount point to dos and not
the file hierachy underneath that mount point.  I even
tried to chmod it, but no luck.

Any ideas how I can get no root access to my win98
partion, or is it a Fat32 problem.

P.s. I realise that some people would consider none
root access to the dos/win partion a security hole, but
I am aware of this, thanks.

--
John Stevenson, Objective Alliance: www.oa.nl

"Objects are not a technology, they are a state of
mind"