emacs, PATH, trailing /

Ever since upgrading from bo to hamm, my PATH environment variable as seen
from inside emacs (with (getenv "PATH")) has a trailing / on each entry:

	/usr/local/bin/:/bin/:/sbin/:/usr/bin/:/usr/sbin/:/usr/X11R6/bin/

This doesn't really hurt, but has the annoying side-effect that if I type
`which foo' in an emacs shell buffer, I get a path name with a // in it:

	/usr/local/bin//foo

Again, this doesn't really hurt anything (except for my sensibilities :< ),
although occasionally I want to take the resulting path, and paste it in a
find-file command to open the file -- but then emacs replaces `.*//' by `/',
and so looks for /foo instead of /usr/local/bin/foo.

I would like to know what is causing this behavior.  I grep'ed on PATH in all
the .el files in /usr/share/emacs/19.34/lisp, but didn't find anything that
sets PATH.  I even made an attempt to find something relevant in the emacs
source code, to no avail.

I didn't see this behavior until I switched to hamm, even though it's the same
(upstream) version of emacs.

I also tried installing emacs20, and got the same results.

Has anyone else seen this?  Or have any idea what causes it?  Or to whom to
report a bug?

--
David Zelinsky
dsz@alumni.caltech.edu