Re: Problems installing ncurses-base

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Daniel Mashao wrote:
>
> > Any hints what the following error message mean? I am trying to install
> > ncurses-base.
> >
> > dpkg: error processing ncurses-base_1.9.9g-8.10.deb (--install):
> >  subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  ncurses-base_1.9.9g-8.10.deb
> >
> > How can I correct the problem or even understand the problem.
>
> How to understand the problem:
>
> ar x ncurses-base_1.9.9g-8.10.deb control.tar.gz
> tar xzvf control.tar.gz preinst
>
> and see why the script preinst does exit with an error status.
I don't know how you got to know so much :)

I did as you said and ran the script ./preinst. The script ./preinst ran
fine with no error messages but I stll get error messages when I try to
use dpkg -i. I think it may have something to do with the fact that I was
trying to upgrade to slink and I was not successful as libc6u could not
install. Thank a lot for your help so far.
Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                          daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town	       	            http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa         (w) 27+21+650 2816  (h) 27+21+705 8469