Re: Moving computer without losing things

Hi!

Jose L. Gomez Dans (jgomez@pc117179.shef.ac.uk):
> Hi!
> 	I have been using a debian system for a couple of months now,
> and I am extremely happy with it. However, since this isn't my
> computer, I have been told that I'll have to leave this computer, and
> take a newer one. I was wondering if there is a way to actually send
> all the files I've got here (I've installed loads of packages,
> compiled loads of sources) to the new computer (I could install debian
> on that one without much hassle) over the ethernet connection we've
> got. At the moment, the only alternative is to copy everything to
> floppies or zip drives :DDD. There MUST be a better option :)))

idea 1:
- enable rshd for root on your old machine (kind of dangerous)

- get a rescuedisk with rsh and cpio on it (Toms root + boot disks??)
  and boot your new computer with it.

- partition your new computers disk and mount all partitions the intended
  way under eg. /mnt

- run as root
	cd /mnt
	rsh <oldbox> "find / -xdev -depth | cpio -o" | cpio -i --sparse

  expand "/" to the whole list of fs'es you want to move.

- run lilo -r /mnt

idea 2:
- make a cpio/tar file of your old machine's disk
	find / -xdev -depth | cpio -o > /var/tmp/foo.cpio

- export /var/tmp (or wherever you placed the .cpio) via nfs

- use debian's rescue disk to boot the new machine, start setup, load your
  NIC's modules, load nfs module, configure the network, act as if you're
  install to a bogus partition (you're going to delete later)

  mount your desired partition setup eg. under /foobar

  open vt2 and do
	mount <oldbox>:/var/tmp /mnt -orsize=4096
	cd /foobar
	star < /mnt/foo.cpio

Uhhm, please take 2. only as idea - possibly you need to use tar insted of
cpio - and there may be other issues I missed.

Rainer

--
KeyID=58341901 fingerprint=A5 57 04 B3 69 88 A1 FB  78 1D B5 64 E0 BF 72 EB