Re: Permissions for vfat mounted drive

Pierre-Antoine wrote:

> Leon Breedt wrote:
> >
> > > You can specify the uid=value, gid=value and umask=value options when
> > > mounting, or in /etc/fstab; see mount(8) and fstab(5).
> > how can i specify that i don't want any files on the dos partitions to
> > have executable permissions?  or is that the way the msdosfs filesystem
> > handles it?
>
> once again, using umask=value :
> as for chmod (but with inversed value), 0 means rwx (inv of 7) and 1
> means rw- (inv of 6)
> umode=137 (rw-r-----) might be a good example.

A problem with switching off the executable bit I encountered is that
normal users cannot enter directories on the partition anymore.  Root
does not seem to suffer from this problem.  Does anyone know why this
is so?  (I am more surprised that root does not suffer from the problem
than that ordinary users do).  The simple way to prevent scripts or
programs to be executable is to use the `noexec' mount flag.  Note
however that this provides only limited security.  If someone can read
a script, (s)he can always execute it explicitly calling the shell:

$ bash <script>

Besides that, programs can be copied to some writable file system and
have their permissions altered.

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032