Re: resizing ext2 partitions

> hi
>
> apart from Partition Magic 4, are there any programs to resize
> ext2fs partitions?  i recently did away with windows on my drive,
> and i dont want to backup everything/reinstall to make the whole
> drive ext2...

Some time ago I heard that the author of the ext2 file system wrote a
program to do this.  He apparently sold it to partition magic, under
the condition that it will be released under GPL after something like a
year.  I always thought a program like partion magic would have been
worth buying, if it costed someting like $20 and didn't have the
ridiculous license conditions preventing you to use it on more than one
PC legally.  For now I'd advise you to make a second ext2 partition,
and move part of your system there.  Likely things to move are /home,
/usr, /usr/local, /usr/lib, /something/big/that/needs/to/grow.  Then
you might want to check out the mailing list archives to find one of
the numerous discussions on the subject of moving the contents of a
directory keeping all permissions right.

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032