Re: Retract stupid question about linux-java - a permission issue

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Chip Grandits wrote:

> A.P. Bell wrote:
>
> > Don't know much about Java.  You should temporarily change the permissions on
> > /dev/audio and /dev/dsp to 666 and run your applet -- to ensure that your setuid
> > trick has worked.  Also, a method such as play() is likely overriden and so an
> > alternative method like play(<audio_device_name>,...) will likely exist.
> >
> > Again, I don't know anything, just trying to give you some feedback because no
> > one else has thus far.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrew Bell
>
>  I feel pretty stupid, your idea in fact worked!  I guess I've never been bitten by
> a permission
> snafu enough to go right to the beginning.  It's funny how people have to tell you
> the obvious
> routes to try.
>
> To be honest  I must not really understand permission
> the application appletviewer, which comes with a jdk is really a symlink to a file
> called
> .java_wrapper
> # ls -l .java_wrapper
> -r-sr-xr-x    1    root    root    3462    Jun 19 01:36    .java_wrapper
> I assumed the 's' in the owner's 'x' spot meant that this executable would execute
> with
> the owner's (i.e. root's) permission.  But this wouldn't work until I changed
> /dev/audio to
> chmod 666. (previously it was 660).  I guess I don't fully understand.
> Maybe it's something like .java_wrapper invokes a library, and the library has to
> have the
> permission??  Or that 's' doesn't really mean what I think it means??
>
> Much Thanks,
> I guess until I figure it I'll live 'dangerously' with /dev/audio at chmod 666.

My /dev/audio is 660:
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   4 May 28  1997 /dev/audio

Then all users that use sound are added to group audio.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

       "Bother," said Pooh, as he fell into the liquid iron ore crucible