Re: 2nd question of the day: Xsecurity

Chris Evans <c.evans@sghms.ac.uk> writes:
CE> I'd like to use Emacs from within X on my home machine when I do
CE> have to telnet in for work but I'm getting a refusal to give Emacs
CE> X client access to the server on the remote machine (if I've got
CE> the server/client naming the right way round).  My questions are:
CE>
CE> 1) The remote machine isn't running X at the time, do I need to
CE> leave it with X running or can I assume it will launch it?  (It does
CE> have a very limited VGA server up and running there.)

If the DISPLAY points to a different machine (as it will need to), you
don't need to be running an X server on the remote machine.  The
client (Emacs) will know to Do The Right Thing.

CE> 2) How do I set security in X so as minimise any possible holes but
CE> to give me this access?  I have looked through the documentation
CE> but can't see anything pertinent.  A man page suggests there is
CE> another on "Xsecurity" and the Xhost man page suggests _that_
CE> isn't what I need.  Please will someone point me at the right
CE> documentation?

I'd read the Remote-X-Apps mini-HOWTO, which explains some about xhost
and xauth.  IMHO the best way to go is by using ssh, which
automatically sets up the necessary xauth magic and gives you an
encrypted data stream to boot.

--
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called