2nd question of the day: Xsecurity

I am enormously pleased to have my Email lists and WWW
service now running fine on a very cheap (reconstruction job!)
Debian box in my old office with SSL-telnet giving me what feels
like very secure access for any work I have to do on it.  I'd like to
use Emacs from within X on my home machine when I do have to
telnet in for work but I'm getting a refusal to give Emacs X client
access to the server on the remote machine (if I've got the
server/client naming the right way round).   My questions are:

1) The remote machine isn't running X at the time, do I need to
leave it with X running or can I assume it will launch it?  (It does
have a very limited VGA server up and running there.)

2) How do I set security in X so as minimise any possible holes but
to give me this access?  I have looked through the documentation
but can't see anything pertinent.  A man page suggests there is
another on "Xsecurity" and the Xhost man page suggests _that_
isn't what I need.  Please will someone point me at the right
documentation?

TIA

Chris

Chris Evans, R&D Consultant,