Console mode with >80x24 possible?

Can I rebuild the kernal to use my entire display?

My hamm-equipped laptop has an 800x600 screen.  When in console mode
it uses only the middle of the screen for an 80x24 display -- even
though there's room on the screen for at least 120x32.

I use console mode a lot to save batteries.  And I'd love to use the
whole screen.  But a quick look through the kernel source didn't
suggest how to change the screen size.  There are params you can set
in LILO for more lines, but those result in its using a smaller font
to fit more lines into the same screen space, still leaving half the
area unused.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do what I want, and if so, how?
Pointers to documentation welcome!

Thanks,

--Eric House

|            from the desktop of: Eric House, fixin@peak.org              |
|    "The instructions said 'Win98 or better' -- so I installed Linux"    |