Re: PPP connection speed

One way to do it is like this:

1) In your /etc/ppp/peers/provider file, modify your connect line to
look something like this:

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -r report-file -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"

where the "-r report-file" specifies the file to report the speed to.

2) In your /etc/chatscripts/provider file, you need to tell the modem to
report the connect speed. Mine looks like this:

ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
REPORT CONNECT          <<== I added this line
"" ATZ
OK ATW2                 <<== and this one also
OK ATDT1234567
CONNECT \d\c

You may need to take a look at your modem's manual. For mine, the ATW2
command does what I want.

The end result is that the connect speed is written to the report file
each time I connect. I'm sure there's plenty of variations on how to do
this, including displaying it each time, if that's what you want. See
the chat man page for more information.

Tom