Re: Starting out trouble

Bill  <wvainds@erols.com> writes:
Bill> The program xdm says it's loaded, but there is no gui visible,
Bill> just the prompt. Perhaps I misunderstood what xdm is, at least I
Bill> have a prompt. I tried startx and it said no such file or
Bill> directory. Whatever, I'll eventually figure it out.

Hmm...have you installed the X packages?  Have you set up your X
server via xf86config or XF86Setup?

Bill> The reason I'm writing is because it has this penguin come on
Bill> the screen during the boot sequence. It also has system info
Bill> depicted alongside it. This info states the Linux version is
Bill> 2.0.34 the cpu is 75+ with 65 megs of RAM and it's got or is
Bill> doing 4.61 bogomips.

This is probably the work of the linuxlogo package.  :-)  But the
information it gets comes from the kernel.  This information is:

Kernel version: 2.0.34, which is correct.
CPU type: "Pentium 75+ Processor", which is technically correct (your
  133 MHz CPU is 75 MHz or faster).  The kernel doesn't differentiate
  any more than that.
Memory: "64M RAM", which is all the kernel sees by default.  See
  /usr/doc/kernel-doc-2.0.34/Documentation/memory.txt.gz for details and
  some workarounds.  (You may need to install the kernel-doc-2.0.34
  package first.)

Bill> All of the above should not be except the Linux version. How do
Bill> I go about getting Linux to recognize the system correctly? The
Bill> boot sees it all correctly including the correct ID of the SCSI
Bill> drives. I screwed up somewhere, big time.

Well, not really: it sounds like you have some X problems, and X is
notoriously hard to configure, and you need to do a bit of work to get
from 64MB of RAM to 128MB.  Besides that, your system is in pretty
decent shape, it sounds like.

--
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called