Re: boot from CD ?

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Christian Hammers wrote:

>  Hi
>
>  Is the 2.0_r1 CD image bootable ? I have to burn it here on work and
>  I don't know how to make a bootable CD out of it.
>
>  As far as I understand, I need to make an El-Torento(?) CD-Rom, i.e.
>  one .raw file which contains a bootable HD partition and one .raw
>  file that will be the "normal" CD content.
>
>  How to make this boot .raw file ?

You should just be able to burn the raw Debian image onto the disc and
boot it.  I've burned about twenty Debian 2.0 CDs and, as far as I know,
they've all been bootable from CD-ROM on systems that support CD-ROM
booting.

I use a Macintosh CD burning program (Adaptec Toast), so I'm not sure what
you'd do on any other system, but on the Mac I just tell it to burn that
file as an image (as opposed to a ISO-9660 disc (which will just burn
the file onto the disc, pretty useless)) and away it goes.

Also -- 2.0R3 has been released in image form -- you might want to go for
that one as it is (presumably) more up to date.

-- adr