Re: One more convinced Linux newbie.

Hello Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@greene.xtn.net>,
> Kent West wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Robert Cloud wrote:
> > > If you don't mind I've got another problem.
> > > I've got all the Linux files on the c: Win98/dos drive.

You need to "mount" them.

To do this, you:

* create an empty directory under Linux
    mkdir /dosc
* mount the partition
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /dosc

If you aren't happy with the way it works, you can un-mount the
partition using:
    umount /dosc
and then do the "mount" again (say, if you need an extra option - I
think by default the DOS partition is only readable to root, you
might want to change that).

When you are happy that it works, you should add a line to /etc/fstab
so that it automatically mounts every time you boot up.

> > > How do i get to them.

They'll appear instead of the empty directory you mounted over.

> > > In unix "/" means root directory, will "//"
> > > get me to change drives.

No - in Unix, using double slashes usually doesn't make any
difference.

> > > Can I even read the files on the win98/dos partition, or
> > > can I copy the files to the Linux root.
> >
> > Yes, you can get to them. When the installation program asks what method
> > you want to use to install the base system (NFS, FTP, CD-ROM, Floppy, or
> > Already Mounted Drive are the options I think), select Already Mounted
> > Drive; when it asks for the path, enter

/dosc/...

> 	Its been a long time since I installed Linux.  It might be very
> possible to installed from an existing DOS partition,

Yes, it's very easy. I've installed mine that way and was very happy
with it.

> but my suggestion is to create the floppys as spelled out in the
> install documentation, and use those instead of trying to install
> from a Win95 partition.

Hmm, personally I hate floppies. And I haven't had any problems with
mounting msdos (I even used umsdos on a vfat filesystem, with only
minimal hacking of umssync).

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>

We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently
quotes lines that begin with "From ", but no-one remembers why.