Re: dselect (or apt) wish list

Hello George Bonser <grep@oriole.sbay.org>,

> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Jiri Baum wrote:
> > Hello Zack Brown <zbrown@lynx.neu.edu>,
> >
> > > I suggest that, by default, dependencies should be downloaded
> > > before the files that depend upon them.
> >
> > Any particular reason?
>
> I can think of a good one that really bugs me. Using the apt method from
> dselect, if a single package fails to download the none of the packages
> are installed.

Why wouldn't they be installed? (I don't use apt.) I would've thought
they'd get installed, but not configured.

> install all packages retrieved before the failure with a high
> degree of confidance that they will install.

In most cases, install should work OK, configure shouldn't.

Confused.

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>

We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently
quotes lines that begin with "From ", but no-one remembers why.