Re: Yamaha opl3-SAX sound card configuration

Hi Grant :

I'm have a Yamaha OPL3-SA3, I was configured this card following the
instructions on http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/solo/216/yamaha.htm. This
instructions are valid for kernel 2.0.x, almost for 2.0.35

For the configuration of pnp I didn't use the windows configuration port. It is
important don't forget to enable the port 0x530 and use the port 0x534 for
ioport of CS4232.

>I'm trying to set up a Yamaha opl3-SAX sound card under linux, debian
>distribution.  I found this webpage
>(http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/solo/216/yamaha.htm) that offered
>help in setting up the card, but I'm still have problems.   Specifically,
>this is what happens:

>I've followed the configuration up to the part about compiling the kernel
What kernel are you compiling? I was compiled the kernel 2.1.12[567] and the
sound don't work. The configuration is good. The Audio, Synth, Mid, Timer and
Mixer devices are configured and controles. The installed drivers and card
config are not configured, why? I don't.

>with loadable modules.  So thus far, I've...
>1) Gotten the I/O ranges, IRQ, and DMA settings for my card
>2) Ran pnpdump >/etc/isapnp.conf
>3) Uncommented /etc/isapnp.conf so that it includes my settings
>4) Ran isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf, and it gives me the following:

>Board 1 has Identity 5a 80 86 00 01 20 00 a8 65:  YMH0020 Serial No
>2156265473 [checksum 5a]

>So now I go into /usr/src, and run make menuconfig (this is where I  have
>problems).  In the help it says that I should select MSS/WSS and FM-Synth
>as LOADABLE MODULES, but it doesn't let me.  Is there something wrong I'm
>doing.  Additionally, when I just select MSS/WSS and FM-Synth as built-in,
>the IRQ setting I have for WSS (IRQ = 5) isn't suggested.
These instruction are wrong (out-of-date) if you are trying the kernel 2.0.x you
must use the CS4232 card as module. For kernels 2.1.x there is a modules for
OPL3-SA[23x] card.

>Also, I'm compiling the kernel onto a floppy, because I'm booting off a
>floppy.  Does this matter?
Nothing.

>Any help would be appreciated...as you see, I'm sort of new at this. =)

>Grant Wang

All the best.

				Hernán.

                           Hernán J Cervantes Rodríguez