dhcpcd wierdness

The network here at my school recently aquired a new T3 and a couple
more subnets to go with it.  Ever since then, dhcpcd refuses to
function properly.  Whenever I reboot, it fails to get me an IP (much
less the same one which I had...which would be preferable).  The only
way I've found of getting an IP after a reboot is to go and run
/etc/init.d/network (in the hopes that somehow this will influence
dhcpcd to get my old IP), start and stop dhcpcd using
/etc/init.d/dhcpc, then run /etc/init.d/network again (since
restarting dhcpcd inevitably sets my IP to 0.0.0.0 again).  I don't
quite understand why this works...simply waiting for dhcpcd to get me
an IP (which takes at least a couple hours...which is another thing I
don't understand; I know that there are lots of IP's available) always
ends in me getting a different IP than I previously had...which isn't
good because then I have to go update my monolith domain name.  Anyone
know why dhcpcd just stopped working?

Thanks,
Eric.

--