Re: Can I start X while other stuff going on?

On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 08:39:07PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> I tried putting a running program (lynx) in the background by pressing ^Z,
> and then started X Windows and thought maybe I could foreground the app in
> an Xterm, but I guess either I don't know what I'm doing or it just
> doesn't work. I ran ps to find the PID of the job (say 14096), then typed
> "fg 14096", but I get a reply that there is no such job.  Did I do
> something wrong along the way, or is this just not going to work?
>
> Thanks!

Lynx doesn't won't let me 'background' it either, but that's just Lynx. Most
other things (jobs) can be suspended by ^z and either bg'd or fg'd later.
This whole thing is called job control and can be read about in the bash man
pages under -- you guessed it -- JOB CONTROL.