RE: Null Modem SLIP Connection

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, David Karlin wrote:

> Secondly, the connection is for two machines in different rooms of
> the same apartment.  (I'm loading up my new room-mates 'puter with
> a second HDD for Debian.) The distance between the machines will be,
> at most, 60-70 feet.

Ok, so why not go with a couple of used Ethernet cards for $10 each and
either coax (10Base2) or a crossover twisted-pair (10BaseT) ethernet
cable? It will work fine over this distance and get you much higher speed.
FOr 60-70 feet, I would expect a serial rate of 38400 to work over RS-232
or 115200 over RS422.

> Thirdly, where can I find info on RS-422?

Any vendor of connectors, cables, and communications devices should offer
RS422 converters. These look like a regular RS232 connector shell with an
RJ45 jack on it. Just plug regular ethernet twisted pair between them.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!