Re: dconfig for GNUbies

	 Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:33:28 -0500 (EST)
	 From: "Daniel R. Allen" <dallen2@coder.com>

	 Hi there,

	 This is my first debian install.  I am installing from the "official"
	 debian CD set, version 1.3.1 (necessary for compatibility reasons).

	 I have read the dselect man page, /usr/doc/debian/FAQ, the online
	 debian installation guide (including the dselect first-time user's guide),
	 the help pages inside dselect, and the list archives via the web.  None of
	 these have answered my questions regarding the following. Can somebody
	 with a clue help me out?

	 1) I chose 'access method CD-ROM' and it properly found the 'main' and
	 'contrib' packages and binaries. Where do I find the 'local' packages?  It
	 says, "this directory is named 'local/binary' on the distribution site."
	 It does not seem to be available on the CD-ROM, and I couldn't find it
	 traversing ftp.debian.org.  Am I missing packages without it, and what is
	 a standard place to find it?

	 2) I've installed the distribution; everything seems to work.  Now
	 I've tried updating my system from libc5 to libc6 in order to install
	 mSQL. So far, dselect has required that I un-install libc5 in order to
	 install libc6.  Which it won't let happen because it would break a number
	 of packages.  Now what should I do?  Can I install both?  How?

	 3) I found an updated version of gpm, and tried downloading it from a
	 debian distribution site.  I like how lynx automatically started up
	 dselect (or dpkg?) when it recognized the package.  That was neat.  But
	 when I told it to try and install the package, it also wanted libc6.
	 Leaving a broken copy of gpm.  So I uninstalled gpm.  Now I have NO gpm
	 and no clear way to re-install the old version.  In dselect, can I
	 'downgrade' to the old version on the CD?

	 Thanks for your help.

	 -Daniel

Well if you have debian "working" I suggest you mount all of the
debian CD-disks.

mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt
  (hdc or wherevere your cd-rom is at)
then cd /mnt
then find . -name .* > /<name-of-the-debian-cd-rom.list>
  (this will write out all the files (with their paths) out to
  the filename you called it in the root)

Do this with all the debian cd-roms -- you should wind up with a
number of debian.list files in your root.

Then cd /
then find / -name <the-thing-you-are-looking-for> -print | less

you should be able to locate anything on your cd-roms easily that
way.  Works for me.

also study dpkg --help carefully :it can help you locate what
.deb package has the file you are looking for.

joeh