cdda2wav won't recognize my CD-ROM

I'm trying to get cdda2wav to work with my CD-ROM drive, and it seems
that no matter what I do, it won't recognize the drive. I'm using an
Adaptec 1542 SCSI card with a NEC-501 CD-ROM. The docs say that this
drive is capable of reading audio tracks as digital data.

There's a script installed with the cdda2wav package, "scan_scsi.linux"
that's supposed to say what device to use:

> 07:05pm|~|1 $ scan_scsi.linux
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00 CD-ROM -> /dev/sg2

But when I run cdda2wav, I get:

> 07:06pm|~|3 $ cdda2wav -D0,4,0
> open(0,4,0) in file interface.c, line 645: No such file or directory
> On Linux make sure you have the generic SCSI driver installed.
> Probably you did not define your SCSI device.
> Set the CDR_DEVICE environment variable or use the -D option.
> You can also define the default device in the Makefile.

I do have the generic SCSI driver installed (as a module, sg.o), and the
only other lead I've found from reading stuff in /usr/doc/cdda2wav is
that I might need to define something with /dev/MAKEDEV, but I can find
nothing that actually says what sort of device needs to be created.

help would be much appreciated. :)