Re: Problems with DOS and free disk space.

On Thu, Nov 05, 1998 at 05:55:59PM -0500, James Von Derrau wrote:
> I have recently installed Linux on my machine, and I am having only one
> prblem so far...
>
> I've checked in the FAQ, and How-to's but can't seem to find the answers I
> need.
>
> After I installed Linux and rebooted in dos when I did a DIR, dos reported
> that I have more space on the disk than is available in the partition.
>
> I have a 1.01Gig hard disk that is partitioned as follows:
>
> 500MB DOS - first partition.
> 500MB Linux - second partition
> 39MB Linux Swap - Third partition
>
> DIR in dos reports 639 MB free, scandisk and chkdsk also claim the entire
> drive is accessable in dos.
>
> I'm using MS-DOS 6.22 and the Ontrack Disk Manager V7.0
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?  Or could anyone explain what is going on
> here?  And further still, how do I fix this!?    I'm afraid to install
> anything in dos incase it overwrites part of Linux.

You should be right to be afraid.
What program do you used to format your disk? Note that you
cannot reduce the size of a dos partition using DOS/Linux
standard fdisk, but you can make DOS think to have the entire
partition even if the partition table says the opposite.

You need fips or an equivalent tool to reduce the size of
a DOS partition without losing data.

-Michele