Re: large kernels

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong... a bzImage kernel isn't
actually any smaller than a zImage.  When a zImage kernel is loaded (on
the x86 platform), it must fit entirely in the first 640Kb of memory
(i.e. "conventional" memory).  A bzImage kernel uses some different
techniques which remove this restriction.  Assuming that your kernel
compiled without errors, I'd expect LILO to handle it just fine.

Of course, 970Kb sounds just a tad large for a normal kernel.  You might
be able to cut it down considerably (and free up some of that memory for
your applications) by compiling more of the features as modules, and
letting kerneld load/unload them on demand.