Re: DNS woes

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Gregory Dickinson wrote:

> I'm resending this, I have reason to believe that  it didn't go out the first time (if it did, pls
> excuse the repetition)
>
> #########################
> Greets all!
>
> Here's my (somewhat strange) situation, I hope someone can help.
>
> I have a 2.0 box configured as a DNS for our intranet.  Said Debian box has 2 NIC's in it, one for
> the public side (internet) and one for our provate side (intranet.)  I was wondering (mainly) how
> to make the DNS only answer queries from the private side, not the public side also.

ipfwadm -I -a deny -S 0/0 -D <your internet IP address> <port your bind is
listening to> -W <name of the ethernet interface connected to the
internet>

Example: If you were at 1.2.3.4 and eth0 is connected to the internet and
you are listening to port 53 for domain requests you could use this:

ipfwadm -I -a deny -S 0/0 -D 1.2.3.4/32 53 -W eth0

This would ignore packets on port 53 arriving on eth0 destined to 1.2.3.4
from anywhere.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!