Re: DNS question

You can do what you suggest.

When you register a domain name (xyz.org), you
just tell the InterNic (or whomever) the primary
and secondary name servers (provided by your
ISP, usually) for names in that domain.  The
name servers answer the specific host address
for each such host (you have to tell your ISP
what those addresses are).

Individual names (myhost.xyz.org, herhost.xyz.org)
may be in entirely different subnets.  (A subnet
is not a domain, and a domain is not a subnet.)