mounting cds in debian

I've a new debian installation; and I'm trying to mount music cds.  My
system is scsi, and I've a CD-WORM on scd0, and a 24x Pioneer on scd1.
As root, I get the "wrong fs type, bad option..." error when I try to
mount the drives (I get the error and control returns right away on scd1,
but scd0, the WORM drive, takes a while).  Like the following:

darknesswithin:/dev# mount -v -r -t iso9660 /dev/scd1 /cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd1,
       or too many mounted file systems
darknesswithin:/dev# mount -v -r -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
       or too many mounted file systems

scd0 and scd1 look like:

darknesswithin:/dev# ls -la scd*
br--r-----   1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Nov  2 09:49 scd0