RE: SOLVED (sort of): Re: /etc/ppp/ip-up not being run

>From: 	Noah L. Meyerhans[SMTP:frodo@ccs.neu.edu]
>
>Doh!  I feel pretty dumb now.  The scripts ARE being run.  The problem
>does, however, seem to have something to do with the way in which they're
>being run.  One of the scripts contains an ftp command, which should
>(using a macro in /root/.netrc) connect to a remote site and upload a
>file.  I know the ftp macro works fine, because if I run my script by
>hand, things work just fine, and the file is uploaded automatically.
>However, when pppd tries to run the script, I find this in the output of
>the ftp process (which I redirect to a file):
>
>Name (129.10.116.200:root): Login incorrect.
>
>But I'm NOT trying to log in as root!  The ftp macro specifies my username
>and password at the remote host.  As I said, all this works fine when I
>run the script by hand!

It's possible (quite likely?) that you're getting problems because of
the environment in which the script is being run. What user does it get
run as (does that user have access to /root)? What environment variables
are set ($HOME - if it matters)?

I've never had problems like this, but I've heard many reports of such
things, with cron, CGI, and similar "automated" script execution...

HTH,
Paul Moore.