Re: simple question

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Davide Duran wrote:

> I'm very interested in the future of Linux as commercial OS, but
> I have a question:
>
> 	Linux is great thanks to over 1000 programmers who hard worked on
> 	it in their free time. It was a passion, an hobby.

Not all are hobbyists. Many use Linux in their work and the development is
as a result of improvements done in the course of supporting this work.
Many of the network drivers come from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center,
etc.

> 	For sure, the best valuable passion or hobby I ever seen, but I ask:
> 	who can say me that I can be sure that this programmers will continue
> 	their great job? I know that there are a lot of programmers, but
> 	the problem is that, IF LINUX would reach (and I hope) a BIG MARKET SHARE,
> 	a lot of people will buy it and use it. How can this programmers to
> 	support such a market ??

The way linux works, it does not depend on any individual, really. If one
person leaves the project, someone else can step in. The benefit of Linux
is that since the source code is open, if a business wants to create a new
feature or change the way something is done, they can hire a programmer
and get it done. This can never happen with Windows. The user is much more
secure because Linux does not depend on the continued output from any one
individual or company. What would happen at Microsoft if they lost two or
three of their best developers? What would happen to an application if the
vendor goes out of business?  With Linux and free software, you are
protected. If development on Apache stopped today, you would still have
the source code that you could, in theory, maintain forever if you want.

Free software means that the program lives forever and does not rely on
any one person or company for support.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!