Re: simple question

> I'm very interested in the future of Linux as commercial OS, but
> I have a question:
>
> 	Linux is great thanks to over 1000 programmers who hard worked on
> 	it in their free time. It was a passion, an hobby.
> 	For sure, the best valuable passion or hobby I ever seen, but I ask:
> 	who can say me that I can be sure that this programmers will continue
> 	their great job?

This is a common question about Open Source. The point is that should a
programmer decide to quit, then there are plenty who can take their place.

>I know that there are a lot of programmers, but
> 	the problem is that, IF LINUX would reach (and I hope) a BIG MARKET SHARE,
> 	a lot of people will buy it and use it. How can this programmers to
> 	support such a market ??

There are a lot of us. As OS grows, so the number of OS programmers grow -
it's pretty much self-continuing.

> 	They are not paid (economically) from their job. They're Linux system
> programmers
> 	in their free time. I know they're paid from their first job (most of them
> are
> 	programmers), but imagine that Linux would gain a lot of market.
> 	How can I put my firm in the hands of their free time ???

Because Open Source works - if theres an important bug in a program, and
it's author can't or doesn't have the time to fix, then someone, or
several people will write a patch.

> 	And if they don't have anymore free time, what can we do??

As I said above, I think this is highly unlikely.

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Selwyn College Computer Support