Re: absolute beginner again

Have you tried using "pppconfig" (need to be root)?

Your modem should be found at /dev/SttyX where "X" is (modem com port -
1).  Eg, if your modem is on com 4, then you can reach it at /dev/Stty3.
some people make a symbolic link ("ln -s /dev/SttyX /dev/modem") to make
things easier.

There's also
or any other HOWTO site on the net that can go into detail.