FLOPPY DISK INSTALLATION & RAWRITE

Dear Friends,

I am brand spankin' new to Debian Linux.  I am really looking forward to
using it for GIS and also as a way to learn Unix.  The Debian Linux
Installation How-To  says that you have to copy about six or so files to
floppy disk in order to install from floppy disks (yes, I read that this
is the worst possible installation method).  I have chosen to install
from floppies because  1.) I am a cheap date, 2.) I am trying to use the
absolutely cheapest route to Linux nirvana, 3.) I am using a cheapo 486
DX2/100 computer that has no modem or CD-ROM, 4.) I'm a glutton for
punishment (can't be any worse than NT 4.0).

I have several problems with the file copying that I baaadly need help
with.

First,  the instructions say to use the utility program, rawrite, to
write the appropriate files to my 1.44 MB 3.5" floppy disks.   As both
rawrite and the other files are located on your server, how do I use
rawrite on your server to access the files on your server  and indicate
the result should end up on my A: drive?

Second, when I format floppy disks in Windows 95 ( which exists on a
system that is not the target Linux box), the format program says I have
1.45 MB free on each floppy.  However, both the Windows Explorer and My
Computer screens say I have 1.38 MB free.  This makes a direct copy (ie.
not run through rawrite) of the .bin files impossible as each file is
1.44 MB.

Please help me, as I'm spinnin' my wheels and  hot to trot.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Miller
e-mail address:  rshayes@jps.net