Re: how do I extract a 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz file ?

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> Aha!!! I'll bet John is right - mtools should not go through the VFS layer,
> and should be able to read a file this size. It's too bad we don't have an
> mcat...
>
> Aha again! We do. Ok, here's what you need to do:
>
> * Get and install mtools.deb
> * Edit /etc/mtools.conf, set it up so it can access your dos partition, as
>   say, drive c: (follow the comments, looks easy).
> * mtype c:/huge.tar.gz | tar ....

Well, I started out being really excited.  Within seconds I had the index
of my 2.6gb home.tgz scrolling down my screen.  But it looks like it will
only extract about 1.2gb this way, and unfortunately, as I now know, the
stuff I need is at the end :/

The command I used is:

mtype c:/linux/home.tgz | gunzip > home.tar

This was after I noticed

mtype c:/linux/home.tgz | tar -zxvf - home/darxus

didn't restore everything.
***PGP fingerprint = D5 EB F8 E7 64 55 CF 91  C2 4F E0 4D 18 B6 7C 27***
                              Chaos reigns.