Re: how do I extract a 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz file ?

Darxus <darxus@Op.Net> writes:

| On 28 Oct 1998, Gary L. Hennigan wrote:
|
| > That was an excellent idea, unfortunately Darxus has already tried
| > this and it didn't work for him. Perhaps gzip tries to read the whole
| > file and even though, in your case, the file is truncated it'll do
| > what it can. In Darxus' case that means it's trying to read past the
| > 2GB limit and that's a no-no under 80x86 based Linux systems.
| >
| > However, now knowing that gzip will in fact decompress a file that's
| > lost it's tail, Darxus could try to write a little C program that calls
| > truncate() to truncate his file to around 2GB (a little less might be
| > a good idea) and see what he can do with it.
| >
| > Of course I'd treat this idea as a last resort. I have NO idea if
| > Darxus can copy that file, for a backup before trying the truncate()
| > thing, and it'd be a Bad Thing (TM) if he truncated the existing file
| > only to find out it wouldn't work. Plus, I don't know if truncate()
| > will work on a file greater than 2GB?
|
| Unfortunately I cannot back it up.  I only have 4.3gb of fat32 space
| total.  And it would be my guess that truncate() would need to use the
| function that I'm guessing every other program is failing on because it
| can only handle 2^31 bytes.  I'd love to just see somebody who knows what
| they're doing patch the libs to be able to handle, say, 2^63 byte files...
| Is that even doable ?  Or would an unsigned long int work ?
|
| It's sad, out of this 2.6gb file, I'm only interested in probably less
| than a megabyte of it :)  -- dunno if those files are at the beginning or
| the end.

A fellow user, via personal email, suggested you might try the Unix
"head" utility. Something like:

head --bytes 1900m |gzip -d -c|tar tf -

I'm running low on ideas. I posted your question to the kernel mailing
list and I'll let you know if anything comes back. So far only a
suggestion for using WinZip.

Gary