Re: how do I extract a 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> Does this mean that there is a 2gb limit on any individual file, or
> that the ENTIRE file system can't be larger than 2gb.  If the latter
> than does that mean that a linux disk partition can't be larger than
> 2GB in size?  My '/' partition is 4gb large.  Am I throwing away the
> last 2gb?

 No, no, partitions can be more than 2GB, but an individual file on the
partition can't be more than 2GB. ISTR hearing about an 18 gig partition
on a RAID system somewhere... turned me green with envy. :->

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles                 "...it's not a plain, ordinary steel nut: it's a
        (248) 377-7735      'hexiform rotatable surface compression unit',
                            which is why it cost $2,043 for just one..."
ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com  William Lutz, on Pentagonese, in _Doublespeak_