Modem settings

Hi,
Seems to me that under WIN95, the dial-up program sent a string to the
modem to make it talk at its fullest 56k rate. Under ppp, only atz is
sent to the modem before the dial string. While I can understand, that
different modems would use a different init string, somewhere there must
be a list of common strings as used by different manufacturers.

I am especially interested in the Hayes 56k internal card. Best I ever
get is 31200, although I have seen better when the card was in a WIN95
station. Nope, don't know where the book is and a look around the Hayes
web site didn't really show anything up.

Anyone got an idea on teh right init string?

Patrick