Catch-22 - Help!

I have a Debian installation in which the ethernet card driver is
apparently not installed.  There were some errors at this stage of
the installation process, but the screen drew and reset to the inst.
menu too fast to read anything.  I finished the installation, and
now I need to update the kernel and the drivers.  I can't compile a
kernel (downloaded 2.0.35 src) because I don't have gcc.  I can't install
the gcc package because I don't have network access in Linux - only under
Win95.

My Linux installation has a 2.0.32 kernel with 2.0.34 drivers, and this is
probably why the drivers don't work.  I'm using the 2.0.32 kernel because
the 2.0.34 kernel wasn't working with my AHA2842 SCSI adapter.

Questions:

1)  Can I get there from here?
2)  How do I install a package assuming I can get the .deb files onto a
mounted filesystem?  Dselect asks for a series of directory pathnames,
and complains when it doesn't find various files and directories within
them.
3)  Is there a direct way to update the kernel and/or drivers without
having to compile a kernel or use dselect?
4)  Should I give up on Debian and go buy the RedHat CD and hope for better
results?
5)  Why did I want a Linux system in the first place?  :/

Advance appreciation for any and all help offered!

-Jerry

Certus Consulting Group               | Specializing in Integrated Circuit
Antioch, CA 94509                     | Design and Verification, Logic
(925)757-0685                         | Synthesis, Fault Grading, and
<http://www.certus.com>               | Test Development