Re: how do I extract a 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz file ?

Darxus wrote:

> > Where on earth did you store this file? I could've sworn the ext2fs
> > had a 2GB/file limit on it? Certainly all the file utilities do. It
>
> fat32 filesystem.
[snip]
> Well, I think more than that, the assignment of the pointer to the file
> probably failed, before it even got to *try* to find the end of the file.

Hang on a second here, if the file exceeds the size limit of the file
system, how did it get there in the first place?  If nothing in libc
can grok it, what created it?

Something is amiss here.  What I understand you to be saying is
something like this: "I built a desk in my garage that I want to give
it to a friend but I can't get it out of my garage because it is
bigger than my garage!"

Are you sure the size is truly over 2 Gigs?

How about "od" or writing your own C or perl "cat" program to see
where they fail?

Keith